Tuesday, November 13, 2012

    A nice sunny day here in Atlanta today, unlike yesterday which was a whole lot of grey with rain added in for emphasis. Didn't do much yesterday but hang out, read and watch a couple of movies. It was almost boring, cuz I really wanted to be out and about. But it was nice to get a lot of reading in, so it wasn't all that bad I guess.

   Today was much nicer. Took off late this morning and headed north up I-75 to the town of Kennasaw Georgia. I was on my way to see the 'Southern Railroad Museum' there in what was once known as the town of 'Big Shanty'.

    A very nice museum with lots of exhibits and info about the railroads in the south before and during the Civil War. They also had a large part of the museum taken up with an exhibit featuring what had been a local machine shop in the area that also got into the engine building field. I took a few photo's of course, so I don't want to say too much more about it until I get them all downloaded and sorted out. So I'm going to quit on that and just finish up the day by saying that I have spent most of the evening finishing up a book and working on some photo's from a few days ago. These are a few that I took while out hiking around Stone Mountain Park here in the Atlanta area with a dance friend from Nashville. Hope you enjoy them.



A nice water powered grist mill that the park moved here from somewhere else in Georgia.

A view of some of the foliage taken from inside a covered wooden bridge over a part of the lake in the park. The main structural elements of the bridge are made up of 4"x10" members set on diagonals along each side of the bridge. At every intersection they were pinned together with two large wooden pins driven all the way through both pieces.

The afternoon sunlight was just stunning as we were walking through the trees. The leaves looked like they were almost on fire and were a perfect contrast to the shadowed trunks of the trees.

 
    Sorry, but for some reason most of my photo's don't want to load up this evening, so I'm going to hang it up for the night and try again at a later date.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment