Friday, November 23, 2012

   Moving day today... that means getting up way earlier than my 3:00 a.m. bedtime last night warranted. But alas, ya got to do what-cha got to do, so up at 7:00 and starting to pack by 8:30. Would of been on the road by 9:30, but had to make a separate stop to empty out the tanks. That always takes more time than one would expect.

   A nice morning for driving though. Clear, sunny, but not too warm until after I nearly made it to my next stop. Headed east and a bit south out of Tallahassee with the end goal being Otter Springs Park down by the town of Wilcox. That town being composed of one gas station and a 90 degree bend on the road. Spent some time here last year and had a pleasant time of it. There are a few nice walking trails, a swimming pool and cheap laundry facilities. Of course it is pretty full at the moment because of the long weekend, but by Sunday night I'm likely to be pretty much the only one left. For any of you that are curious, a week here costs me $144.00 for a full hookup. That's a pretty good price overall.

   They put me in a nice space right across from the pool and laundry and it only took about 30 mins to get all set up again. Had a bit of lunch, read a couple chapters in my book and then went and took a nice hour long nap. It is interesting to note that where I have been using the heaters most of the last few weeks, today I had to break out the fans and start them up. A beautiful, warm and sunny afternoon, about 76 degrees is what the thermometer was saying. Of course tonight I'll probably need the heater again for a bit. I have already heard the heater on the trailer next door kick on a dozen times while sitting here. they are certainly going to go through the propane tonight.

    Took a nice long walk this afternoon. Down to a small spring they have on the south end of the property. Saw plenty of tracks of turkeys, deer and wild pigs but the only thing I saw live, besides squirrels, were a couple of armadillos. Tried to get up close enough for a picture on one, but while the size of their head makes you believe that they are probably only a bit smarter than a rock, they do seem to have excellent hearing. Since they live in a world where pretty much everything considers them dinner, they pretty much just run away when they hear anything they don't understand. They are kind of cute though.

   Not sure yet what I'll do for the two weeks I'll be here. Will most likely visit a couple state parks in the area and maybe rent a canoe for a couple of hours one day and go paddle the Suwanee River. I think tomorrow I'll go over to Dudley State Park and see if they have any special programs going on during this weekend. They are an old Farm that has been turned into a park and they do living history programs at them on some weekends. Cane grinding, blacksmithing, soap making etc. I bought an annual park pass the other day so it doesn't cost me anything extra to get in, so what the heck. Below are a couple of photo's from today's hike, just stuff that caught my eye.
 
Way Down Upon the Suwanee River - Nov. 23, 2012 
 
Tree fungus. Not sure why this stuff intrigues me, but it always does. I seem to have a lot of pictures of this stuff, but I'll probably still take more.

A view of the Suwanee River right at dusk.

Another view. The light wasn't quite right yet, but I was getting hungry for dinner and didn't want to wait around another 30 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment