Monday, April 23, 2012

   Not a very exciting day today either.Woke up and it was still cloudy, rainy and.... cold! Very glad that I have the little space heaters in the trailer for those times when the temp gets down around freezing, or colder. Since it was raining still this morning, decided it was just a good day to stay inside instead of running around outside, so the Science Museum will have to wait until tomorrow.

   Instead it was time to go get a load of laundry done while I have the chance. Got all the clothes done this time, but still need to do one more load of linens and sheets later on. Everything is changed out again though, so it's going to be nice to be on clean sheets again.

   I went over to some friends for dinner this evening. I met Sue on a river trip in Montana about 10 years ago and she and her partner Rebecca invited me over for a home cooked meal. I would of been happy just to show up and drink tea, so a full meal was just an added bonus. Good food too, homemade chicken taco's with beans and salad on the side, cold corona beer and strawberry shortcake for dessert. Oh man it was good! It was fun to reconnect with Sue and very nice to finally meet her partner.

   The other dinner guest this evening was a friend from more than 30 years ago. Cheri and I met while I was home on leave from the Coast Guard after coming off a one year long tour of duty on Attu Island in the Aleutian Island chain. Young, cute, single, (and that was just me), we hit it off immediately. I think it must of been because she owned her own kayak. She ended up going on the 'long' (72 day) canoe trip 5 of us did the next summer. Lot's of fun, but eventually she moved back east and drifted away from us all in Colorado. She's still pretty much the same though, a little older, a little greyer, like us all, but certainly as feisty as ever. Always fun to see her and talk about old times. The one thing that was different about her, and my friends back home that know her won't believe this, but she gave up drinking hot beverages made out of 'burnt bean juice', also known as coffee, and now only drinks tea like the more civilized people in the world do.  I am hoping that I put a bug in their ear about doing another canoe trip with us one of these days soon. Gotta do it before we all get to old to want ti do it any more.

   Still cold this evening, they expect frost here by morning. The heater is running again and I'll leave it on low all night just so I can get up and take a shower with out turning blue. The rain has pretty much stopped also and there are reports that the sun may actually come out for a bit tomorrow. The second picture below is what I finally came up with after the roof vent over the bed started to leak the other night. It wasn't a big leak, just enough to be annoying and put this big wet spot on the bed right down where my feet usually was. It isn't a pretty fix, but it worked okay and hopefully I'll be able to find and patch that dam leak once it dries out on top of the roof.


Me, Cheri, Sue, Rebecca. Dinner in Durham, NC April 23, 2012

An engineers temporary solution to a leaky roof vent..... Hey, it worked so stop laughing!

ps     This is my one month anniversary of starting this Blog. It seems to have worked okay so far, no one has complained about it yet, not to me anyway. More than 250 view's so far, not exactly lighting the world on fire with my literary prowess, but then that really wasn't the idea in the first place. Hope it has been okay for you all and that you will continue to check in once in awhile and let your friends who may be interested know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment