Wednesday, April 25, 2012

   The weather was finally back to being it's normal warm and sunny self today. Nice to wake up and see some blue sky through the skylight again. Had a bunch of routine stuff on my schedule today, but it wasn't all that bad really. Went and did another load of laundry so now all of the bedding, linens and misc clothes are clean, folded and put away again. Once that was all done it was time to grab the empty propane tank off the front of the trailer and go get it filled up. I have two 30 lb tanks up on the front of the A-frame under a plastic shroud that covers them both. I had both tanks filled just before leaving Colorado last September and the one I filled today ran dry only 3-4 weeks ago, so I'm not using very much propane on this trip, which makes sense since the only thing that uses gas is the stove/oven, hot water heater, space heater and when unplugged, the refrigerator. Since I'm usually plugged in, the only thing I've really used is the stove and HW heater, everything else has been running off of shore power. So the good news is that I should be good until I get back to Colorado and go back to camping off the grid again.

   Along with hooking and unhooking the tank, I needed to do some minor repair to the plastic shroud that fits over the tanks. About a year ago I was travelling in Nebraska headed for the Chadron area when I hit this steady 35-40mph headwind for most of the day. When I pulled into the state park that evening I noticed that sometime during the day the shroud that was on my tanks then had blown off somewhere along the way. I still envision some farmer on his tractor coming upon it somewhere out in the middle of his corn or wheat field. Anyway; had to get a new one, which I did, and put it together since it is made up and sold as a set of two nearly identical plastic castings. Unfortunately the hardware they supplied with it was sorely lacking, so I ended up using a bunch of hardware I had here in the trailer. It worked well except that the washers I had turned out to be to small of a diameter and two of them had pulled through one side of the seam. So I spent a few minutes this afternoon and put some larger washers on all of the fittings that were under the most pressure. With luck this should be all that will need to be done for a long time.

   Finally this afternoon, I got the ladder out and climbed up on the roof to see if I could spot where the water was coming in at. It was actually pretty easy to spot where the problem was, at least I hope that is the only spot, and get it fixed. Fixing meant putting a layer of the roofing stuff from Home Depot on and applying a little silicon caulking just for good measure. At some point I'll need to clean it all off again and redo the whole thing, but it should work okay for the time being.

   Once all the work was done it was time to head out for a little fun while there was still a little light left. Went over to a local park and took a nice walk around a lake before heading into downtown Durham for the evening. Stopped at one of the local brew pubs and had a wonderful hot turkey on rye sandwich along with a glass of their finest lager. It was good!

    At 7:00 I was over at the Carolina Theatre to take in a movie. On tonight's docket was 'Salmon fishing in the Yeman'. A very funny, cute and serious movie all at the same time. I can't figure out if it was  a fishing movie about love or a love story about fishing. Either way it was highly entertaining and I would certainly recommend it. Guys can even take their wives or girlfriends to this one and not be to bored with it. (Just kidding of course).

   On the road again tomorrow morning so there are still a few things to do here in the trailer this evening. I like to get a lot of the stuff put away that won't be needed in the morning. Just makes getting on the road that much easier. Of course there is no real hurry about it. I only have about 200 miles to go and I have nearly 2 days in which to do it in, so I won't be in a huge hurry to be out of here in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment