Sunday, April 22, 2012

   Still raining today, really hard at times. I slept in late because it seemed the thing to do on a rainy Sunday morning. Got up and going around 9:30 and took a good shower. Made breakfast burritos while listening to 'Car Talk' on NPR and reading the comics. Would like to meet the car guys some day, they sound like it would be a real hoot to have lunch or a beer with.

   Got a couple calls from my friends here in the area and have dinner set up at one of their places tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing them both again and meeting some of their partners and friends. Figured out that it has been about 10 years since I've seen them so I made photo disks for each of them of canoe and other trips we were on together. One of them I have known since my Coast Guard days, so we go back a pretty long time.

   Went over to Home Depot this afternoon and picked up another roll of this 6" wide sticky repair tape they carry. Will see about putting it around the base of the roof vent that is leaking if it ever stops raining and dries up enough to use. It's been a long time since I've spent any time in a home center. Seems like it was my second home once upon a time. Sometimes I miss working on a project or fixing something around the house. I feel like I was pretty good at some things long ago.... now I'm pretty happy that I'm not constantly having to work on something around the house. Still....

   Called a couple friends up in Colorado and talked to them for a little while. Guess it's beautiful there today. Sunny, nearly 70 degree's, sounds like heaven, it's also the reason I go back there every summer for a couple of months. My friends are all doing well though and plans for trips this summer are starting to gel. Besides the big trip down the Grand Canyon in late August, my friend Tom is talking about a canoe trip to Montana in early August with some of his hiking buddies. Doesn't matter to me as long as I get to go along.

   Went and saw a 'Guy's Night Out Movie' this afternoon. This is a movie that generally has a lot of gratuitous sex and violence and very little plot. Today's movie, The Wrath of the Titans fit the bill perfectly. I'm glad I was at the $5.00 matinee, would of hated to pay full price for that movie.

    Still putting together some more iPod playlists for use in the car. Have been going through all my contra dance CD's, and there seems to be a lot of them, in order to put together a good list of my favorite contra dance tunes. Also doing a new waltz playlist since that was another one of them that got lost when the last computer went kaput! Kind of fun shuffling through all of the songs. Makes me want to get up and dance again.

   Did a little research of the area I'm in on-line and have a few idea's of things to do if it's still raining tomorrow. Top of the list is going to the Science Museum in Raleigh. I love going to those and pretty much get lost in them for hours at a time. It's probably good that I'm alone on some of my adventures like that because I'm the kind that likes to stop and read all the display signs and look at every exhibit. Also on the list is a Railroad Museum and a park with a working grist mill. will wait for sunshine for those two tho.

  Here's a couple picture's of the last project I was really involved with. A friend and I designed it, I drew the plans and engineered what needed to be engineered and then, with some help of friends, we pretty much put it all together ourselves. The only real things subbed out was the excavation and foundation, the siding and the wiring up-grade from the pole to the garage. Otherwise we did all the framing, insulation, door's/windows, electrical, etc. I think it turned out pretty well.



2 comments:

  1. Good to talk later this day. Weather in Denver area has hit a summerlike spell and will continue for a few more days. Looks like you've been keeping your hand in on the design/engineering thing. Total retirement's not always easy to do. As requested, this is "some gibberish". Take Spock's advice - LL&P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, now at least I know that the comment section works.

      ps It's always good to take all of Spock's advice.... after all, it's only logical.

      Delete