Sunday, April 8, 2012

   Took my time doing the last 90 miles into the campground this morning. Was up early enough, it's not hard when the Big Rigs keep pulling in next to you and leaving their diesels running while they run in to pee. I stayed put long enough to make and eat some breakfast and read the Sunday comics. Plenty of traffic on the highway this morning as I imagine lots of families were on their way to have dinner or hunt Easter eggs at Grandma's house. I finished up eating my own chocolate bunny this morning, they really don't taste all that good anymore as far as chocolate goes, so it must be some traditional thing going on instead. Sort-a like eating those chocolate covered cherries they come out with every Christmas.

   Pulled into the campground here at Edisto State Park around 3:30 and was glad that I had made reservations for my site many months ago. Usually by this time on a Sunday afternoon the campground has cleared out, but there must be some school breaks going on this week as there are plenty of kids running around the campground this evening.  Surprised myself by backing into my spot without to much difficulty. My particular spot was nearly a 90 degree turn off the outside loop road and the site entrance, as well as the loop road are at most 18'-20' wide with trees and brush on either side. Snuck it right in though and the site opened up pretty wide once past it's mouth. Got the electric and water hooked up and the scissor jacks lowered and locked in place. No sewer hook up here unfortunately and there may not even be a dump station available. That would be a bit of a bummer.

   Once set up it was time for a much delayed lunch before heading out for a little exploring. Hiked around the campground a little bit and found where some interesting trails start off from, but what I really wanted to do was go see the ocean again. Unfortunately there are no trails from here to the ocean part of the park so I climbed back into the truck and drove the couple of miles over to where it is. Nice to be back on the beach again and be able to see the waves rolling in and the birds dodging among the seaweed. Walked a couple miles along the shore and found tons of shells to look at and throw back into the water, (beach reclamation duty), even saved a couple to keep in the trailer to remind me of the sea when I'm back in Colorado.

   Have been doing some checking on things to do in the area and it doesn't look like I'll run out of interesting things to do and to see. Will start in Charleston tomorrow just cuz it's so easy. Just from the map you can find Ft Sumter, the Magnolia Plantation and Gardens and the SC Aquarium. Most important will be seeing how long it takes to get into the dance site. My GPS says it's only about 30-45 miles into town, but the lady who checked me in said it would take a good hour to get there. Based on the narrow two lane roads I came in on that my be faster than reality. I'll check it out, but may find myself taking a couple changes of clothing in with me on Friday and Saturday. That way if the dance goes on too late I can find a cheap hotel somewhere and avoid trying to come back on those roads late at night. No reason to end up sleeping with the alligators if you don't have to.

   Finally: took a couple photo's while I was out walking on the beach. They aren't great, but I kind of liked them.

My book says this is a Herrmanns Gull, so that's what I'm going with.

Tons of shells on the beach, windrows of them in fact. Most were broken in some way, but with the light from a late setting sun even they can be quite pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment