Thursday, November 21, 2013

    Another wonderful day down here in Florida. A quiet morning reading the comics, catching up on the news and doing the crossword puzzle. Finished packing up and stowing the last stuff that needed to go back under the bed. Should of purchased some smaller boxes for my stuff, but they did all finally fit under there with everything else.

  Once all of that was done it was off to the beach for me. Hit the road going south and ended up at a beach down by St George Island. Just wanted to walk along the sand and feel a little salt water on my toes. Spent a couple of hours down there walking and sitting on the beach watching the shore birds and watching the waves hit the beach. Had my book with me so I just found a nice sunny place out of the wind in between a couple of dunes, and  read for an hour or so.

     Felt good out there in the sun, but my stomach eventually sent me back to the truck and on a search for a late lunch. Ideally it would of been some fish tacos and a beer, but I 'settled' for a couple shrimp tacos and a beer at a little beach bar instead.

    Had to go find a Home Depot on the way back to the trailer. My tool box in the trailer has just gotten to small for all of the stuff that I need to store in it. Not that I need this huge box of tools, but I have found that I need a lot more stuff than one would think. Found one big enough easily enough, so now it is just a matter of trading them out once I get back home.

    But right now I'm sitting at Taco Bell taking advantage of their WiFi while eating a couple burritos. Got a few more pictures uploaded all ready so I hope you all enjoy them.


Wakulla Springs State Park Florida - Nov. 19, 2013

A few more photo's from my trip over there a couple of days ago. You might want to check out the other ones that were posted two days ago.

So here we are continuing our trip down the Wakulla River keeping our eyes peeled for wild life and other interesting things.

Passing one of the other tour boats, you can see the duel electric outboard motors that they use while running the tours. This one is coming back from some maintenance so it is running on it's regular gas motor. Note that the propellers have a metal cage built around them to protect the manatees from getting injured by them. The regular motor has one also.

The lighting and colors were wonderful on this day.

Something you wouldn't normally see... alligators are known for eating pretty much everything, including turtles. So this was kind of fun to see.

 

 

A White Ibis looking for breakfast.

 

I know it is hard to believe, but the color of everything was just like this. The river is so clear that it is hard to believe that it is between 10-15 feet deep right here.

A large hornet nest hanging off a limb along the river.

Going back upstream on the other side all of the trees now had some neat reflections.

 

A female Anhinga drying out her feathers in the sun. Having no oil gland in which to waterproof their feathers, they periodically have to dry them out a bit so that they don't just sink to the bottom when they dive in to chase their food.

I like how the sun shines through the Spanish moss in some of my shots.

There are several hundred buzzards that winter right there in the park. You can often find a bunch of them hanging out in the trees along the water.

 

I knew the name of this bird a few days ago, but of course now I can't remember it. What I do remember though is that it is often called the 'candy korn' bird because of the color of the beak on the male.


















No comments:

Post a Comment