Sunday, November 3, 2013

    Finished up the last bit of the contra dance weekend here in Austin around 5:30 this afternoon. It was a great couple of hours of dancing to the music of Contrazz and the calling of Diane Silver. The sound was still a little bit off, as they had to tear everything down last night so the venue could be used for something else this morning. So they had to set up the whole stage and sound system again this afternoon. It wasn't bad, but last nights sound was much better. Of course it must be a hard venue to run sound in, as it has these high ceilings and hard plaster surfaces on the walls, ceiling and even the floor is all hardwood. So the sound must just kind of bounce around in there a lot.

   It didn't keep any of us from having a lot of fun of course. The last couple of numbers were pretty hot and high energy, much like I remember past dance weekends with this band and caller being. They also had an hour of medley contras where they start a dance and about 10 minutes into it they switch callers and the dance on the fly. The new dance then goes on for about 10 more minutes before they switch once again. I've been at dances where these dance will go on for more than an hour at a time, and if the band and caller are really on, it is an awful lot of fun. Unfortunately, there were mistakes in both the music and the calling this time, and therefore in the dancing.... but it really didn't matter, everyone was having such fun that they would just catch up somewhere along the way and just keep dancing.

   For me though, I ended up sitting some of the medley  portion of the dance as my sinus headache came back full force. It may have something to do with all the dust that gets stirred up at a normal dance, no matter how often the floor is swept, or it might of been the wind that picked up there for a bit this afternoon, or maybe even the air conditioning that was going full blast all afternoon also. Either way it was a real pain!  I sat down for a bit, took a couple of pills and was back to near normal by the end of the dance. So at least I got to do the last couple of waltzes.

    Stuck around long enough to end up going out with a couple of friends from Colorado who had come down for the weekend. There had been, I think, 8 people from Colorado at the dance, but only 4 of us ended up going out for dinner. We ended up at a decent BBQ place called Rudy's for dinner. My friends, Paul, Cindy and Nan and I sat around for more than an hour talking about things going on in the Denver area as well as what had been going on in our contra dance lives since we had last seen each other. We finished up there about an hour or so ago and all said good bye. Heading back to the trailer the only thing of note that happened was having a full 32 oz. coke fall out of the cup holder onto the floor. Lucky it was on the other side of the truck, but I'm sure it is going to be a bit sticky over there until I can get it all cleaned out and shampooed. Bummer!

    Headed out on the road again tomorrow morning. It's not quite a thousand miles to my next destination near Atlanta Georgia so I imagine it will take me at least 3 days to do it in. As long as I am there by early Friday afternoon though, I'll be happy. Just need enough time to unhook, take a shower and find my dance shoes. This weekend was fun, but I am already looking forward to the next one. It's almost like an addiction.... but lucky for me dancing seems to be good for both the body and soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment