Thursday, January 23, 2014

    Off running errands about mid morning yesterday. Headed north and east towards Daytona Beach and of course.... the beach. Actually I headed over there because there is a hobby shop there in town that I wanted to visit. Way back in September, I had stowed a whole bunch of model train track in the trailer with the idea of putting together a small HO switching layout that I could play around with and practice switching box cars to different tracks on. Long story short though, the turnouts, or switches as most people call them, didn't make it to my P.O. Box before I left, so I needed to find 6-7 of them to start building.


 
  Got over there with no problem, even though I took the back roads just to see something different. The hobby shop was rather a small place, they actually specialized on O scale stuff mostly, the next larger scale from mine..... Oops sorry, there is actually an "S" scale in between HO and O. (Maybe too much info I guess). Anyway; they did have some regular HO scale stuff including a little bit of track so I found 3 code 83, #6 turnouts there. Only half the number I'll end up needing eventually, but I probably made the owners day by buying them all up, as it didn't look like there was going to be very many other customers that day.



  That errand only took 15 minutes at the most, so I thought it might be fun to go on over to the Ponce de Leon Lighthouse afterwards. It's been several years since I last visited, so it was fun to wander about for an hour or so and take a look at all the exhibits. Had to make the climb to the top of course.... 203 steps in all, and the legs start to feel it by the time you get to the top. A beautiful day out though, so the view from the top was spectacular. Spent an hour or so on site taking lots of pictures and enjoying the day. After that there was just enough time to head over to one of the beaches and walk on the sand for 40-45 minutes.




   Headed back to the trailer after that as tomorrow was moving day already. So I needed to pack up and get ready for that. Did indeed pack up some of the misc. stuff that was out, but after that there was plenty of time to sit back and watch a movie on the computer. Started in on the Lord of the Rings trilogy a couple days ago, so it was time to watch the 2nd movie of that series, The Two Towers. I have now seen the movies several times since they have come out, and read the books at least 4 times that I can remember before that, so the story is pretty familiar, but it just never seems to get old. The only problem is that at about 3 hours long, it meant not getting to bed until after midnight.


   Was up early this morning anyway. It really doesn't take very long for me to pack up and get on the road any more. I've now done it hundreds of times and even doing it all alone, it still only takes about an hour to put everything away inside, hitch it all up, disconnect everything that needs disconnecting, stop and empty the tanks and get on the road again.


   Today's destination was only going back North and West to the town of McIntosh. Only about 100 miles and 2-3 hours on the road, I was hoping to find a nice spot over there where I can keep the trailer for nearly a month. Other than stopping for an hour long lunch break around noon, it was a pretty uneventful day of driving.


    Pulled into 'Sportsman Cove' in McIntosh around three this afternoon and found that they had plenty of room for me. I have camped here in the past and really enjoyed it as it has felt kind of like a place time forgot. But today it seemed a bit more chaotic to me. Could be that the park is nearly full of long term residents, or that there were 3 dogs barking full blast when I pulled into my site. But I got all set up fine, and my site is right at the end of one row, plus the dogs soon stopped barking and really haven't barked since then.


    I went for a nice walk around town just to re-familiarize myself with what is here, and then came back and made a quick dinner. Have just been hanging out this evening. Finished the last Lord of the Rings movie just a while ago, the good guys won by the way. Probably going to go get some sleep now, I have been feeling in need of a nap all evening so I might as well just hit the hay. Still cold outside and it is suppose to be that way for a couple more days, but at least it was sunny all day today.


  Hope to have some more pictures ready to post in a day or two.




















No comments:

Post a Comment