Monday, January 27, 2014

    One last day of nice weather before it is suppose to turn off cold and rainy. I spent most of the day just hanging around the trailer and walking around town. It was a nice day to be outside and I spent a little time just straightening the inside of my truck out. I spend so much time in it that sometimes I tend to forget that it shouldn't have two coats, extra socks and shoes and at least a dozen previously read magazines in the back. So I cleaned all of that stuff out and then checked all the fluids and topped everything off that needed it. There's nearly 178,000 miles on it now, and other than a rear window controller, that I still haven't gotten around to fixing, it has had very little go wrong with it since I bought it. I would sure like to keep that record intact, at least until the end of this travel season, if not through next year too.


    Also spent some time wandering around town this afternoon. It is really a nice little hamlet here in the middle of Florida. I like that you can wander the streets and see orange and grapefruit trees in some of the yards as well as several different types of palms. But what I really like here are these absolutely huge live oak trees that seem to be everywhere. I would really like to be able to get a picture of some of these because they are stunning, but I don't have a lens that shoots wide enough angles. There are several trees here that are more than 12 feet in diameter at the base. By the time they spread out they have to be 150'-200' wide and at least 150' tall. I'm talking a tree so big that it holds enough wood for not just a single home, but maybe for a whole block of them. I'll try to get a photo of one before I leave, but I don't think I can back up that far.


    Otherwise I spent the rest of the day reading books and magazines and checking out a few videos on 'Youtube'. It's amazing what you can find, but I was specifically looking for some stuff on model railroads as well as the real things. Will have to look at my schedule again in a couple of weeks and see if I will be able to fit in a visit to some old time live steam railroads and railroad museums that I have been wanting to visit for the last couple of years. Oh, I also took some time to watch another one of my movie videos. This time it was the original animated one, 'Ice Age'. What a hoot!


    Right now though it is past 2:00 in the morning and I need to go to bed. Here are some photo's I took a couple weeks ago when I was in Morgantown WV for the contra dance week they have there between Christmas and New Years. Took a trip over into Pennsylvania one day to see Frank Lloyd Wrights signature home, Fallingwater and then took a side tour on the way back to the resort to stop at Cucumber Falls in Ohiopyle State Park. The lighting that afternoon wasn't all that great and it was snowing, but it was a nice view anyway.


Cucumber Falls in Ohiopyle State Park in Pennsylvania
Dec. 2013






A view of the falls from the trail at the top. This is only a minute or two off the main road, so it is one of the easier waterfalls in the area to access.

Even though it's winter and there is snow on the ground the rhododendrons still had green leaves on them.

Another view from the top.



I liked this view from about half way down the trail.







You can see the little river as it rushes from the falls out towards the Ohiopyle River, which is only a few hundred yards downstream.

One last view.









No comments:

Post a Comment