Saturday, January 11, 2014


    Wow!  It is raining outside really, really hard at the moment. Had been hearing weather warnings for more than an hour early this afternoon, and sure enough it has hit as expected. But to be fair it is still just a really good rainstorm with some thunder and lightening to go with it so far, and I hope that is all it ever becomes. No tornado's or flooding going on that I know of, and I would just as soon it stay that way.


    The day actually started out pretty sunny and warm this morning. By noon it was in the mid 70's already and feeling pretty good. I took off to do some errands early on and have been happily running around since then. First on tap was a hair cut. The place in Chiefland that I have used several times was closed for some reason. Pretty hard to understand on a Saturday, but what the heck, there was another place just a couple blocks away that always seemed interesting. I stopped in there and had my haircut in 20 minutes or less. Got it cut pretty short this time, but I think it looks okay. Doesn't really matter all that much though. After all, the difference between a good haircut and a bad one.... it's still about two days. Living with it after that amount of time is a non starter.


    Went and had a quick bite of lunch after that and then headed over to the town of McIntosh, about 25 miles south of Gainsville. There is a RV campground over there that I have stayed at several times over the past couple of years. I kind of like it because it's a little bit seedy, generally has an interesting cast of characters, is cheap and is located in a cute little Florida town that makes me think it is what a lot of Florida must of been like back in the 50's. It is also located on a rather large inland lake, that several years ago shrunk up so much in the drought, that the shore line ended up about a mile away from the boat ramp at the campground. One of the main reasons the 'fishing resort' hasn't really done all that well these past few years. My thought was that maybe with all the rain over the last year or two, maybe the water was back and the whole place was going to be wall to wall campers with no room for me when I needed it. So I went over and checked it out and found that there is no reason to worry. The water is much closer, and all their 50 amp sites are booked, but they seem to have plenty of 30 amp sites such as what I need. So I'll give them a call in a couple of weeks and get something set up then for the couple of weeks I'll need to be there.


     My last errand was to go and find a new 'car' radio to install in Esmerelda. The radio/CD player in the trailer went out a couple of months ago and I have been getting by using a portable radio that I had bought. But it really doesn't work very well and it is kind of a hassle to try and tune in a radio station using an old analog style tuning system. After checking out a couple of stores I finally ended up with a basic Pioneer Digital Tuner/CD car player. Not sure what I will have to do yet to make it all fit, but I don't think it will be to difficult to get it installed and working. Will keep everyone updated on this latest project.


   Right now though I can see that the rain that was coming down in buckets only 30 minutes ago, has now pretty much stopped completely. I'll finish up a few things here and catch up on some news before unplugging and heading back to the trailer. It will be interesting to see if there has been any leaking going on since then. Sure glad I closed the vents this morning before taking off.




One final note of interest; I anticipate that with the posting of this post, my Blog will pass the 10,000 individual page view mark. I know that doesn't sound like much in an age where some Blog's can get that many views in less than an hour, but it far exceeds any thought I ever had. I just thought a few hundred, at most, might take a look at it and then go merrily on their way. It appear likely that there are actually a few misguided souls out there, :) , who actually follow this. Keep it up.... another couple years and I may actually hit 50K.









1 comment: