Wednesday, March 27, 2013

    Woke up this morning to at least 2 inches of fresh snow laying on the top of the trailer and the truck... no wonder it was cold inside all night. Lucky for me I'm kind of use to that having grown up spending weeks and weeks camped out during the late fall and winter. So even though it was down around the mid teens this morning, it was still all right getting up and putting those, O' so cold, jeans and socks on and trotting out to the truck to start it up. Of course the worst part of the whole ordeal was having to clean off the windshield and windows with just my hands. Somewhere in the back of the truck is an ice scraper/brush, but who the heck knows where exactly it is.

    The truck felt pretty good as it warmed up and we started down the mountains. I had stopped in a rest area just inside the Virginia border last night, so it was still well up into the Blue Ridge Mountains. I took my time in coming down, stopping once for breakfast and then again for some lunch later on. I finally pulled into Pocahontas State Park outside of Richmond Virginia around 3:30 this afternoon.

   I already had a reservation at the park because of the dance going on here weekend after next, but I was worried they wouldn't let me stay more than the 2 weeks I had already signed up for. No need to worry though, they have nearly 200 camping sites in the park and maybe a hand full of campers right at the moment. So they were happy to see me sign in and give them money.

    For my part it was nice to be in a regular camp again that not only has electric, but also running water. Of course, it wasn't until everything was all set up and ready to go that I hooked the hose up to the hydrant and turned it on only to find that the head part had evidently froze at some point and cracked. So it has a nice fine spray of water coming out of it while the pressure is on. I'll deal with it tomorrow, after my shower, by either moving to another site, or by having them change out the head fitting. Either one will work for me. But for tonight I'll just leave it turned off.

    Tonight has just been a night to relax. Still need to go do some grocery shopping and then tomorrow or the next day I need to do some laundry and get a haircut. Once that is all taken care of it will be time to go out and play again. Lot's of neat areas around here to visit, all kinds of Civil War era stuff of course as well as lot's of maritime stuff, museum's, light houses, and stuff, as well as other neat places to visit. I have a friend here who has offered to show me a few of the local spots as well as a good pub or two. Will also try to make it down to the Raleigh/Durham area for a couple of days and do some dancing and other fun things. But right now the best part is not having it snow on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment