Monday, October 1, 2012

   Finally stopped raining a little while ago. Thought it was never going to quit at one point and it was beginning to feel like living back on the Oregon coast again, where it can rain for weeks at a time.

    Did get out a little bit today. Needed to go over to the local AAA office and pick up some new maps and a campground guide for the Boston area. Have been having trouble finding a campground to stay in that would put me close enough to Boston to do day visits as well as close enough to the town of Concord to do their Monday and Thursday night contra dances. Have heard that it is well worth your while to do them if you can. Once I had the CG guide it was easy enough to look up the one CG in the area that looks like it would work and shoot an email off to them. Heard back a little while ago and they do have room enough for me to stay there the week if I want. So I'll sign up for that tomorrow when I feel like dealing with forms and credit cards and such.

    The rest of the day was spent reading a book and watching the movie 'Last of the Mohicans' on the computer. Can still remember when this movie first came out and how much I enjoyed seeing one of my favorite books come alive like it did. At that time I never thought about how the war the movie revolves around had effected my Klock ancestors who had settled in the Mohawk Valley and who were right in the midst of that war, as well as the revolutionary war later on. It gives me a better perspective now after visiting Fort Klock last spring and learning more about their lives.

    Going to head down to Bath Maine tomorrow morning if the weather has cleared up sufficiently. Want to go down and visit the Maritime Museum there next to the Bath Ironworks ship yards. Hoping to see exhibits about all era's of boat building and boat usage in this area as well as take another cruise down the river and into the bay there. The cruise will show some of the boat yards area as well as highlight 5 more light houses. It's a bit of a drive down there and back, and with gas at nearly $4/gal I hate to burn up that much money just to get there and come back, but seeing sights like this are one of the main reasons I'm doing this type of trip so.... what the hell!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment