Tuesday, December 25, 2012

    Another day of driving.... east from Knoxville headed toward Roanoke, then a hard left at northbound Hwy 77. Grey sky's, cold temperatures and even a bit of snow as the road twisted up and down over the Great Smokey Mountains. Towns with names like Bland and Big Chimney and my favorite, Mink Shoals. Most are just a gas station surrounded by few houses, some aren't even that big. Missed my turn-off late in the afternoon and ended up taking the highway all the way into the capital city of West Virginia, Charleston. A nice looking town along the banks of a beautiful river, but today it just looked cold.

    As it turns out, my mistake only added a couple of miles on to my trip counter, so I didn't really care one way or another. But after Charleston it was getting dark and the fog was starting to form along the river again.

    I had a late breakfast/lunch earlier in the day. It was my first trip to a 'Waffle House', a restaurant that seems to be very common back here in the east, though I have actually seen a few as far west as Colorado. A good breakfast of eggs and sausage and grits along with the required waffle. So I wasn't all that hungry til late this evening. I found a Micky D's that was open and had a hamburger and coke before trying to find a hotel for the night.

   Was beginning to think that I might have to go all the way into Morgantown this evening in order to find a place, as there aren't a whole lot of towns out in this area. But I pulled off at the widest part of the highway I could find and there was an old motel there that was still open. It is actually a cute little place with old single rooms and this furnace that makes all those great noises while it is cooling down. Owned evidently by a family, they were all sitting around the kitchen table eating when I checked in. The room doesn't look like much, but it is very neat and clean and the price was right, only $35/night. The only bad thing so far is that I seem to have the Hillbillies from Hell staying in the room next door. So far I've been listening to the non-stop commentary from, I think, the mother of a young girl who broke up with her boyfriend this evening and ran away to the motel until he comes crawling back to her on his hands and knees. I'm not sure yet if there is a baby or a pregnancy in there somewhere, but the 'Wedding is Off' at this point. But mom just left to go talk to the boyfriend so who knows what is yet to come.  I'm just hoping it doesn't last all night long and that talk is all that happens. (I'll keep you all posted).

    On to Morgantown tomorrow. I need to make one stop and try to find a new battery for my truck key fob thingy. It finally stopped doing it's thing and now you have to actually use the key to get into the truck. What a concept.

     The dance starts tomorrow night after check-in and dinner. I'm looking forward to landing in one spot for a couple of days after driving for two days. It'll be good to see some people that I haven't seen for several months now..... plus there's music and dancing!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment